9 unique festivals celebrated in the Philippines
This article covers:
1. Apribada FestivalWhen: Fourth week of January Where: Sorsogon Apribada is a festival celebrated to recognize whale sharks which are also called butanding. It is celebrated due to its help in bringing wealth and success to the town. The other main purpose is preservation of the butanding so that coming generations can still see this gigantic shark.
2. Carabao FestivalWhen: 15th & 16th May Where: Angono, Bulacan San Isidro, Nueva Ecija and Pulilan The national animal of the Philippines is Carabao or Kalabaw (water buffalo). This festival is celebrated on the feast day of San Isidro Labrador also known as St. Isidore the Worker, the farmer’s patron saint. The reason why it is given so much importance is because the carabao is valuable animal to farmers as it helps them to produce a good quality harvest.
3. Bulaklakan FestivalWhen: 1st January Where: Muntinlupa City Bulaklaka literally means flower in Tagalog. A grand parade is carried out around the city which features colorful costumes and dozens of flowers which become an eye candy for visitors along with the beautiful fragrances.
4. Paraw Regatta FestivalWhen: Generally in the month of February Where: Iloilo City It is an annual festival celebrated in Villa de Arevalo district. Its main event is a sailboat race in Iloilo which features the Paraw (local sail boat with two outriggers and two sails). The sails are painted with colorful creative, cartoons and many more things.
5. Philippine International Hot Air Balloon FiestaWhen: Between January and February Where: Omni Aviation Complex in Clark Freeport Zone, Angeles City, Pampanga Since this is an international festival, enthusiastic air balloon pilots from all over the world come to participate. It features many designed hot air balloons which is a mesmerizing view for the visitors.
6. Banana FestivalWhen: 18th and 19th March Where: Baco, Oriental Mindoro The Philippines is second largest banana exporting country after India. This festival is celebrated to pay tribute to their highly valued fruit. In this festival visitors compete to create the best banana meal plans. Post that, a beauty pageant is conducted where the women battle it out for the title of the festival.
7. Garlic FestivalWhen: 1st to 3rd May Where: Ilocos Sur Ilocos Sur is known as the Garlic Center of the North. This festival aims to showcase the talent, ingenuity and hard work of the Ilocano farmers. Aside from that, it also aims to encourage the farmers to produce high quality garlic using modern technology.
8. Fruit FestivalWhen: Month of August Where: Kidapawan City, North Cotabato Kidapawan City in North Cotabato is known for their variety of tropical fruits. They are also known for celebrating the most enticing and mouthwatering festival in the country, the Fruit Festival. This festival compromises of fruit parades, dances and people are even allowed to enjoy free fruits.
9. Crown FestivalWhen: Third week of November Where: Muzon, Taytay Rizal This festival is celebrated by having a parade along the town of Muzon, Taytay Rizal by wearing crowns. But the fact that the crown is worn so as to experience the feeling of being special is what makes this festival prestigious.
While going back home might be difficult, sharing the joy and fun is not. Use Instarem to send money from Australia to Philippines or Hong Kong to Philippines and let them have your share of fun as well! What makes us stand apart is we don’t charge any remittance fees as compared to banks or other remittance firms. This lets you put some extra money in the pocket of your loved ones.
Explore more articles
This article covers: How human activities drive rising temperatures on earth Let’s team up to save our planet: Embracing the tree power for climate action! Restoring hope: Instarem, Mastercard, and you. On a mission to restore 100 million trees Sign up for amaze and make a difference Don’t you just love the cool touch of ...
This article covers: Take control of your payments Flexibility at your fingertips Get the best rates, hassle-free Easy scheduling options Unlocking financial benefits: Real-life scenarios Ready to send money? If you’re in Singapore, we’ve got some fantastic news for you! Instarem has introduced a new feature that allows you to schedule your money transfers in ...
This article covers: Bid farewell to delays and embrace instant transfers Effortless and simple Enhanced convenience: Let your recipient receive money their way Send money to DuitNow ID with Instarem – simple steps New to DuitNow? Ready to send money? Do it now! Sending money to Malaysia has never been this easy! Using Instarem to ...
This article covers: International student services Student societies Hobby club Local police department Local hospital or clinic Peer mentor programme Family schemes Before you go… Hey, ever dreamt of studying abroad? It can be pretty amazing, right? You get to experience a new culture, learn a new language, and try out different ways of learning. ...